This project saw Fredon complete the supply, installation, testing, commissioning and maintenance of all electrical and communication services to all parts of the International Terminal Building Northern Concourse Expansion at Brisbane Airport.
The expansion across three levels was intended to increase efficiency for both arrivals and departures, adding capacity for airlines to increase scheduled services as well as optimising boarding capacity and accelerating boarding time for passengers. Commencing in 2017, the expansion included:
- An extra 13,500m of space;
- Six additional boarding zones;
- New passenger zones;
- Four new aerobridges; and
- Two new walk-out gates.
Fredon were engaged by Laing O’Rourke to complete the following works as part of the project:
- Temporary electrical works
- Alterations to existing main switchboards
- New main switchboards for the expansion
- Engagement of approved subcontractors for CCTV, security, PLC modifications, site wide metering integration, ICT design & supply and lighting control.
- RF monitored emergency lighting system
- Cable trays and conduits for cable reticulation
- Lightning protection
- Hearing loops and integrated public announcement and EWIS system
- Digital signage and FIDS
- Integration to existing systems, including NIGS, FIDS, GOS and AIMS
The project was completed on-time and on-budget in March 2018, and contributed to Laing O’Rourke winning a Master Builders Award for the project in July 2018, as well as winning the Brisbane Airport Corporation CEO’s Safety Award.
James Davies, Contractor’s Representative for Laing O’Rourke Australia also provided a letter of appreciation to Fredon, following the Master Builders Award announcement, with comments including-
“Your team has been fundamental to the successful delivery of a challenging project in a live operational airport environment. With your help we have been able to deliver a world class product to our client, creating a project which was delivered ahead of schedule and under budget.”
“Thank you once again for your continued support and hard work in achieving a successful project completion. We look forward to working with your organisation in the near future!”