The Metropolitan Remand and Reception Centre located within the Silverwater Correctional Complex is undergoing an expansion upgrade as part of the NSW government Better Prison program. The program aims to upgrade the prison infrastructure to provide improved and efficient rehabilitation facilities for inmates.
The extension will involve the construction of four new accommodation buildings that will fit a total of 440 inmates, updated infrastructure of indoor and outdoor spaces which includes interview and program rooms, laundry, kitchen, gym and carpark facilities.
Lendlease awarded Fredon a multiservice contract for the electrical, security and mechanical works. Works are being completed in a ‘live’ prison environment and involve the following deliverables:
Electrical and Communication:
- Design, supply, installation and commissioning of switchboards and submains, general lighting and power systems, diesel generator systems, UPS systems including new HV installation.
- Design, supply, installation and commissioning of site-wide fibre backbone networks, structured cabling systems, MATV network including communications room installations.
- Upgrade of old security system for the installation of the new Physical Security Information Management software platform.
- Supply and install electronic access control, CCTV, perimeter detection, mobile duress, security & engineering network and contraband detection systems.
- Design, supply, installation, and commissioning of air conditioning units, ventilation, BMS and mechanical electrical works.
The facilities upgrades are set to be achieved by 2021.