The University of Queensland’s Physiol Refectory Building received a refurbishment to upgrade the existing facilities to provide students and staff with a new food court.
The existing building was demolished and rebuilt to a new design to host seven new food outlets, indoor and outdoor seating areas for 200 people, as well as a kitchenette area equipped with microwaves and overall improved accessibility to the area.
There was limited documentation on the history of the building. During the demolition stage, new structures and services were revealed, which prompted all designs to be adapted to the discoveries.
Fredon was engaged by Buildcorp to supply and install the following electrical, communications and security works.
- Specialist, general and emergency lighting throughout
- Access Control Security System and Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) System
- General LV Power Installation
- ICT networking
- Distribution Boards and Main Switchboard with sub-mains installation across the project
- Demolition and removal of redundant fixtures and fittings
- Investigation of existing systems to ensure new design parameters could be met safely
The works were completed whilst the university was in operation, and the new building was opened to students and staff in May 2019.